As someone who grew up in the Midwest, I never dreamed that I would be able to spend a semester studying in Los Angeles. I’ve only been here for about a month, and I can already say that I’ve learned the pros and cons of living in the city of Angels.
- FOOD – The food here is to die for. I find myself eating out a lot because there are so many restaurants to choose from. From In-N-Out to Nobu, there is always something good to eat.
- CELEBRITIES – It’s widely known that a majority of celebrities live in LA. Because I’m from Indiana, a state where absolutely zero celebrities reside in, I love spotting celebrities. I’ve learned to not bother them, because they are, in fact, human beings, but it still makes my day when I see them, either at a restaurant, or in whole foods, or just walking by on Melrose.
- WEATHER – Although it’s currently rainy season in LA, 65-degree weather beats winter in Syracuse any day. Most days consist of clear skies and 75-degree weather.
- GEOGRAPHY – LA is filled with mountains, beaches, and valleys. Every time I’m driving, there is something beautiful to look at.
- TRAFFIC – LA traffic is the worst. It takes me about an hour to get to work even though its only 13 miles away.
- COST – The cost of living is extremely high. Everything is expensive here, from gas to food to clothes. At least I’ve learned to budget.
- FAKE PEOPLE – While a majority of the people I’ve met have been extremely kind, Hollywood is a central hub for fake people. Because everyone is trying to make it in the entertainment industry, people often lie or use others to get ahead.
- MATERIALISM – In LA, it is easy to get sucked into the materialistic world when so many people here own sports cars and designer clothes. It definitely makes it harder to remember what’s important in life.
Even with the bad, LA is still an amazing city to live in. There’s so much to do in this city. I love my classes and my internship. I’m currently interning at Escape Artists, an independent production company on the Sony Pictures Lot. They have produced several blockbuster hits, such as “The Pursuit of Happiness” with Will Smith and “The Upside” with Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston. Through this program, I am getting a glimpse of what it’s like to live and work in this city. I’m having a great time and I can’t wait to live here in the future.