The Jack Oakie and Victoria Horne Oakie Award
The Jack Oakie and Victoria Horne Oakie Charitable Foundation – LA Semester Entertainment Excellence Award provides financial support for outstanding students in the Syracuse University LA Semester program.
Summer 2017 Application process:
Students are responsible for securing and viewing a Jack Oakie or Victoria Horne Oakie film of their choice. A Jack Oakie and Victoria Horne Oakie filmography can found here.
Students should write an essay which includes the following:
- A synopsis of the film
- A critique of the film
- An evaluation of the contributions Jack Oakie’s character makes to the film or its themes
Essays should be 3 to 3 ½ double spaced pages, in 12pt. Times New Roman, with 1 inch margins. Essays should be submitted as a Word document, to Lauren Palius at email@example.com by Sunday, April 23 at 11:00PM EST
- Must be accepted for and attend the LA semester program for the application semester
- Must be in good academic and University standing
- Must fulfill all the requirements for the Award and application process
- Students of all disciplines may apply
- (up to) THREE $2,000 Jack Oakie “It’s all in Fun” Awards
The merit based Awards will be awarded to the three most outstanding essays, as deemed by a committee of Syracuse University Professors. Essays that show an obvious lack of proof reading or evidence of plagiarism will be disqualified.
Award is received via the awardees’ Syracuse University Bursar account. NOTE: The acceptance of this award may impact a student’s existing financial aid package. Recipients should contact the SU financial aid office to determine if acceptance of this scholarship will have any impact on their account.
Please contact Lauren Palius at (818) 561-7377 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions