The SULA Semester is a one semester program that provides students with a unique opportunity to take entertainment industry related academic courses while working part time as interns at a vast array of media companies. Our students gain real world perspective by experiencing what it is like to live and work in their field of interest.
Students schedule their 18-24 internship hours a week around classes offered Monday through Thursday. Most classes are held at the SULA Headquarters in our state of the art class room(s) however you may also have a unique opportunity to take a class in another professional environment.
The heart and soul of our program is our dedicated faculty, all of whom are highly talented professionals. They bring their knowledge, insight, and enthusiasm for teaching to class every day. Our students also have many opportunities to chat one on one with current industry professionals who graciously give of their time as guest speakers and mentors.
1) Communications major, minor, or related program of study
2) Completion of 60 credits and be a junior or senior at the start of your semester in Los Angeles
3) Cumulative G.P.A of 3.0 or higher
4) Good judicial standing with your school. You cannot have any open sanctions or be on disciplinary probation during the semester in which you are applying for.
5) Home college approval
6) Interview with the SULA Semester Director
Spring: Apply by September 15
Summer: Apply by January 30
Fall: Apply by February 8
Limited spaces are available for non-Syracuse University students. Priority is given to seniors, communication majors and students from accredited film based programs. Final decision is at the discretion of the SULA Director and Assistant Directors and will be based on:
1) interview with the Director
4) involvement in campus based activities related to student’s career goals
Application Procedure and Checklist:
1) Application – http://lasemester.syr.edu/how-to-apply/apply/
2) Home college approval form – (LA Home College Approval Form 9.19.13)
3) Unofficial college transcript
4) $60 application fee (check or money order made payable to Syracuse University
6) Two academic recommendations – ( LA Semester recommendation_form 1 (v2))
7) Student Conduct Certification – (Student Judicial Conduct Certification (v2) (002))
Upon acceptance you must enroll in Syracuse University for the semester in which you were accepted as a non-matriculated student. Syracuse University does not support financial aid awards from your current home college / university.
Mail your completed application materials to:
SULA Semester Program
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications @ Syracuse University
215 University Place
Newhouse 3 – Suite 318
Syracuse, NY 13244
Once you have been accepted into the SULA Semester Program, you will be emailed instructions regarding logging into the Syracuse University system to complete your enrollment.